Fire Leaves Two Families Homeless - KCBD NewsChannel 11 Lubbock

10/6/08

Fire Leaves Two Families Homeless

Posted:

A weekend fire displaced two Lubbock families after flames destroyed their home Sunday night.  

Kenda Aust woke up to something hot on her back.  "When I rolled over, I saw smoke and at the same time my fire alarm went off, and I jumped out of bed, and when I turned back my whole bed had already been pretty much engulfed in flames," Aust said. 

Aust rushed to get her two boys out of the house. The fire department arrived around 11 p.m. and spent more than an hour and a half putting out the fire. The fire happened at a duplex. Aust's side of the duplex suffered extensive fire damage, but neighbors had only smoke and water damage because it was protected by a fire wall.  

Both families who lived in the duplex lost thousands of dollars worth of property, and they didn't have renter's insurance.  "You know, a lot of people everything that they worked for is in their home and once a house fire like this comes along and completely destroys everything, and then they have nothing left," leasing manager Michael Vargas said. 

"To see that I have nothing now hurts a lot," Aust said.  Now, all they can do is start to rebuild. "I have nothing to sleep on. We have nothing to cook in. I mean we're just kind of starting over," Aust said.

TLC, the property management company, is working to get the families moved into another duplex in the area.  If you would like to donate anything the number for TLC Management is (806) 771-8837.

Lubbock Red Cross
Learn more about the South Plains Regional Chapter of the American Red Cross.

Powered by WorldNow

5600 Avenue A
Lubbock, TX. 79404

FCC Public File
publicfile@kcbd.com
806-744-1414
EEO Report
Closed Captioning

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Worldnow and KCBD. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.