The City of Lubbock is soliciting proposals for the sale and removal of the Tara House, located at 5202 4th Street.
The terms of the sale of the house require the buyer to remove and relocate the Tara House. Moving the building will require inspections and permits.
There is a meeting scheduled at the Tara House on December 18, 2008, at 10:00 a.m. for anyone interested in purchasing the house. The deadline for submitting proposals to the City of Lubbock Purchasing Office is Wednesday, January 7, 2009, at 2:00 p.m.
The Tara House was built in 1941 for Mr. and Mrs. John King to resemble the house in the 1939 movie, Gone with the Wind. In 1948, the Kings sold the house and surrounding cotton farmland to W.E. Armstrong. In 1980, the farm and house were sold to the Tara Land Company. The surrounding farmland was developed into commercial lots to the west and a residential subdivision to the east.
Slide Road was eventually extended around the Tara House, while the house itself was renovated as a restaurant, also named Tara. Later, Tara was converted to office use as headquarters for the Rip Griffin Companies. The current expansion of Slide Road farther to the north requires the removal of the Tara House.
Recently, the property was evaluated for potential use as a visitor center. The City elected to not pursue the option of moving and using the Tara House as a visitor center.
|Tell us what you think...|
KCBD.com Message Boards