Advanced treatments for kidney stones.
If discovered early, kidney stones can often be treated with a simple, noninvasive procedure, so incisions and recovery time are greatly reduced. Many times, the doctors at Lubbock Urology can resolve kidney stone problems using modern techniques such as:
- Extracorporeal lithotripsy - Using shockwaves, we shatter kidney stones into little more than dust, which is then passed with less pain.
- Holmium laser - Using this minimally invasive, state-of-the-art procedure, a laser disintegrates potentially painful stones.
- Percutaneous stone surgery - Usually used for stones larger than about 3cm, this has proven to be an effective procedure.
- Endoscopic laser degradation - Here, we use instruments to pass a tiny laser through to the stones to destroy them.
- Medical treatment - Advances in drug development, including stone inhibitors, make some patients eligible for this protocol.