Elderly Woman Dies In Slaton Home Fire - KCBD NewsChannel 11 Lubbock


Elderly Woman Dies In Slaton Home Fire

Family and friends mourn the loss a Slaton woman after a fire broke out where she was living. Family members identify her as 85-year-old Evelyn Rogers.

Neighbor Charity Everett told NewsChannel 11, "My mom was pulling out and then we saw a fire truck pull in. Then we saw the window open and the smoke coming out of the window."

Just before 3:30 Friday afternoon Slaton fire and police responded to this home in 600 block of North 20th street. Soon after, the state fire marshal's office was called to assist. "When they were making suppression in the room of origin --there in they noticed there was a deceased person in the room," Kelly Vandygriff, Deputy State Fire Marshal said.

Vandygriff says firefighters had the blaze under control within minutes. Upon investigation, they found it started in the back of the trailer home by what appears to be a cigarette. "Her positing on the bed looks like she may have attempted to get out. It's hard to tell probably because of the smoke and stuff she was unable to get out," Vandygriff said.

Vandygriff says the fire was started by a cigarette that was not completely put out near Evelyn Rogers's mattress. He says the blaze spread and eventually caused Rogers to be overcome by smoke.

Family members tell us Rogers was not in the best of health and lately walking had been difficult. Meanwhile as word spreads throughout the neighborhood Everett tells us they're sad to lose such a sweet woman.  "She had a cute color of eyes. She was nice," Everett said.

Family tells us Rogers lived with her adult son in Slaton and had a wonderful sense of humor. Fire officials say there are no signs of foul play. An autopsy is scheduled for Monday.

get more>> Web Enhanced
Blood Donation Questions and Answers
"Giving the Gift of Life" is quick, easy, and relatively painless. Here are the answers to some questions donors often ask.

Powered by Frankly