LUBBOCK, TX (KCBD) - Mice droppings were found at this week’s only low performer.
Health inspectors checked out the cleanliness of dozens of local restaurants, and while there are a lot of school at the top, there was only one restaurant bad enough to end up at the bottom.
Rain Cafe at 2708 50th had 14 violations.
- Several food items were thrown out because they were not cold enough.
- Food inside a cooler were thrown out because the ambient temperature was 56 degrees. Cold foods should be 41 degrees or below.
- Raw beef and raw chorizo were stored over other food products.
- Dirty utensils were with clean dishes.
- The waste pipe was set up correctly.
- Turkey, ham and roast beef did not have a date mark. Sliced turkey was held past the expiration date.
- Plastic containers were cracked.
- Mice droppings were found in the dry storage areas.
- A butter scoop was stored in room-temperature water. It must be running water or water that’s at least 135 degrees.
- Bulk containers were either not labeled or mislabeled.
- Cooler and freezer gaskets were dirty.
- The floors were dirty. There was heavy grease build-up under the grill area.
- The light cover in the walk-in-cooler had liquid in it.
- There was no hand wash sign in the employee’s restroom. There was no food permit or certified food manager certificate posted.
The inspector notes, due to the number and the nature of the violations management did not show proper food safety knowledge.
The report shows most violations were corrected during the inspection.