Lubbock man who fell through ceiling during SWAT standoff indicted by grand jury

KCBD Evening Newscast 6 p.m. 3/20/2019 Stand off

LUBBOCK, TX (KCBD) - The man who fell through the ceiling after getting in a standoff with Lubbock SWAT has been indicted.

Shae Partain, 22, has been indicted on charges of aggravated assault of a public servant and felon in possession of a firearm.

On Wednesday, March 20, Police were called to a report of shots fired a block east of 33rd and University Avenue. The caller told police that Partain thought people were coming to get him, and had just fired a gun.

Witnesses on scene told officers that Partain had taken a shotgun and barricaded himself, thinking there were people outside his second story window and bedroom door.

Partain’s girlfriend went to try and calm him, but he told her to get down and watch out for the people he believed to be surrounding him. She told police Partain never pointed the gun at her or threatened her in any way. She told police his primary concern appeared to be their safety in light of the threat he believed to be growing.

Shae Partain, mugshot from 2016 (Source: Lubbock County Sheriff's Office)
Shae Partain, mugshot from 2016 (Source: Lubbock County Sheriff's Office)

Partain fired the shotgun out the window multiple times and through the door. Partain’s roommate and landlord tried to talk with Partain with no success. His landlord eventually kicked in the bedroom door. Partain had laid the shotgun down on the bed when his landlord broke in, grabbed it and took it outside.

When officers arrived, Partain refused to leave the room. His landlord gave the shotgun to police and advised of more firearms in the room across from Partain. They were then secured by police.

Later when officers were speaking with Partain, they noticed his door was not shut all the way. Officers tried to get an eye on Partain by pushing the door open slightly. At this point, Partain threw a knife through the door at police. An officer was standing behind a stair railing when the knife flew out and struck the banister in front of him without hurting the officer.

SWAT negotiators arrived and continued to try and get through to Partain for several hours, before he managed to escape the bedroom to the attic with the intention of escaping to the neighboring town-home. While climbing through the attic, Partain lost his footing and fell through the ceiling to officers waiting in the stairs below. Several knives and edged weapons were in his possession.

Partain was arrested and taken to the hospital to be treated before being taken to the Lubbock County Detention Center.

Shots fired in 2300 block of 33rd Street (Source: Caleb Holder KCBD)
Shots fired in 2300 block of 33rd Street (Source: Caleb Holder KCBD)

Copyright 2019 KCBD. All rights reserved.