TxDOT project will rebuild part of FM 179 to make 5-lane thoroughfare

Construction expected to be complete by summer 2022

TxDOT begins construction along FM 179

LUBBOCK, TX (KCBD) - Construction will begin this week to rebuild part of FM 179 in Wolfforth to SH 114, or west 19th Street in Lubbock. This $18.8 million project will rebuild the existing 4.1 mile two-lane road, making it a five-lane thoroughfare.

This project will change the roadway to include two lanes of traffic in each direction, a continuous left-turn lane, traffic lights at its major intersections and area drainage improvement, according to a Texas Department of Transportation news release.

The highlighted area shows the area of FM 179 that will be under construction until 2022. (Source: Google maps)
The highlighted area shows the area of FM 179 that will be under construction until 2022. (Source: Google maps)

The construction has been in the works since 2014. TxDOT’s Dianah Ascencio says due to increased traffic on FM 179, they knew there was a need for improvements. “We’ve been planning for this and we’ve finally gotten to the point where we can start turning dirt and make those improvements.”

Traffic will continue to be one lane in each direction but will be shifted and, or detoured onto temporary driving lanes. Speed limits will be reduced by 10 mph and drivers are encouraged to use extra caution as workers complete the project.

Construction is expected to be complete by the summer of 2022.

“We know this project going to affect a lot of motorists,” TxDOT Engineer Mike Wittie said in the release. “The scope of the work - complete reconstruction and expansion of a busy road - is a huge task, but our goal is to make sure we get the work done in the safest and most efficient way possible.”

Ascencio says the roadway between 19th street and 34th street will be closed at some point next month so that BNSF Railroad can come and make improvements to the crossing. She adds that drivers need to be aware of signs and speed limit signs. “Speed limits through the construction zone will be decreased by 10 miles an hour.”

Oversized or Overweight vehicles will not be allowed to drive on FM 179. There will be alternate routes available for these vehicles.

Ascencio said 80 percent of the total project is federally funded, and that the other 20 percent will be funded by the state.

You can monitor all construction projects across the state with TxDOT’s Drive Texas website, Click Here to see construction in the Lubbock area.

Copyright 2019 KCBD. All rights reserved.