Good morning and thank you for joining us!
This morning on Daybreak Today, scattered showers may pass through some parts of the South Plains this morning but severe weather is not anticipated.
- The brief downpours are making their way east and southeast from the New Mexico, Colorado area.
- The rest of the day is expected to be partly sunny with highs around the mid-70s.
- Stay up-to-date with more weather updates on the Weather section of the KCBD website and app.
Three people have been arrested in connection with the shooting death of 20-year-old Tyshaun Bates, who was killed inside his Central Lubbock apartment earlier this month.
- One man, 22-year-old Daytron Deon Hood, was charged with murder, while the two others 24-year-old Lisa Marie Morales and 22-year-old Quawnard Williams were charged with aggravated robbery.
- More details on the arrest and Bates’ murder are here: Suspect in custody, charged with murder in case of Lubbock man killed in apartment
Three Lubbock elementary schools will be consolidated into one school, this came after a Thursday morning vote by the Lubbock Independent School District’s Board of Trustees.
- Wright, Jackson and Guadalupe will be consolidated and the new school’s anticipated open date will be at the beginning of the 2021-2022 school year.
- The estimated cost of the new facility will be around $25 million.
- KCBD’s Melanie Camacho has the full story here: LISD Board approves site for new North Lubbock elementary school
Nationally, two Los Angeles universities have quarantined more than 200 students, faculty and staff after a measles outbreak.
- The order, which was issued for the University of California and Cal State University, requires people to stay home and avoid contact with others.
- That full story from the Associated Press can be found here: Quarantines at 2 Los Angeles universities amid US measles outbreak
- Locally, health experts with the City of Lubbock recommend using something called a “measles tighter” if there are any doubts about the immunity from the disease.
- Read more from KCBD’s Katie Main here: Immunization encouraged during accelerated measles outbreak
For more news, local and national, stick with KCBD on its free app and website; just look in the News section.
Read more Thursday stories here: