TTU football player injured in shooting released from hospital

Texas Tech releases statement on football player

LUBBOCK, TX (KCBD) - The Texas Tech Athletic Department has issued a new statement about freshman John Scott III who was injured in a shooting back on Saturday, April 27.

“Texas Tech redshirt freshman John Scott III was released from University Medical Center (UMC) Saturday afternoon. He will continue his recovery under the direction of Texas Tech’s medical staff. Texas Tech would once again like to thank the first responders and hospital staff who have treated John over the past week.”

According to police, 24-year-old Asia Devine Jackson has been charged with aggravated assault with a deadly weapon in connection with the shooting that seriously injured Texas Tech redshirt freshman defensive lineman John Scott III.

LPD responded to multiple calls of shots fired at the Park East Student Living Apartments in the 1800 block of Glenna Goodacre around 6 p.m. Saturday, April 27. The found 19-year-old John Scott with serious injuries.

A second victim, 19-year-old Kiana Pipkins, left the area after the shooting with minor to moderate injuries and was found in the 900 block of Avenue S. Both victims were taken to the hospital for treatment.

24-year-old Asia Devine Jackson (Source: Lubbock County Detention Center)
24-year-old Asia Devine Jackson (Source: Lubbock County Detention Center)

According to the arrest warrant, after talking with witnesses and watching surveillance camera footage, police identified 24-year-old Asia Jackson as the suspected shooter.

Witnesses told police a group of people were hanging out in the pool area of the apartment complex before the shooting, according to an arrest warrant. Jackson was with the group and was squirted with a water gun, which made him angry.

An argument between Scott and Jackson started but witnesses said Jackson walked away for a few minutes.

The warrant states Jackson came back to Scott, pulled a pistol from his shorts, started waving it around and shot at Scott, ultimately hitting him and Pipkins. After the shooting, most of those around the area started to run away from the scene; Jackson ran off as well.

Multiple witnesses told police Jackson was the person who fired the shots. One witness also went on to tell an officer she got a call from Jackson, who directed her to tell police it was not him who fired the shots.

Jackson also told her he left Lubbock and was on his way to Midland.

Jackson shared KCBD’s story on social media on Saturday night, April 27, saying he was not the shooter.

This was not me bro I promise to god I need a good lawyer I pray for this dude and his family

Posted by Asia Jackson on Saturday, April 27, 2019

On Sunday morning, April 28, Jackson turned himself into authorities. He remains in custody in the Lubbock County Detention Center on a $250,00 bond for aggravated assault with a deadly weapon.

Kiana Pipkins has been released from the hospital.

Copyright 2019 KCBD. All rights reserved.