Good morning and thank you for joining us!
This morning on Daybreak Today, the Lubbock County Commissioners Court will vote to rename FM 41 the David Nelson Memorial Highway.
- Nelson was killed on that highway after the bicycle he was riding was hit from behind in July.
- At the time of his death he was the judge-elect for Lubbock County Court at Law No. 3.
- Read more here: County Commissioners to vote on naming FM 41 ‘David Nelson Memorial Highway’
A Levelland business owner has been charged with selling synthetic urine after a Friday afternoon raid by the Texas Department of Public Safety.
- Consuelo Almager has since been charged with delivery of a drug falsification device and possession of marijuana.
- Officers served and executed the warrant at JoJo’s Smokes and Cokes on West Houston Street in Levelland.
- Read more here: Levelland business owner busted, charged with selling synthetic urine
The Texas Tech men’s track and field team won the Big 12 Outdoor Championship on Sunday in Norman, Oklahoma.
- The team outscored the second place Iowa State team by 38 points, totaling 164 points during the meet.
- The team’s next meet will be the NCAA West Preliminary meet in Sacramento, California from May 23-25.
- Read more here: Texas Tech Men’s Track & Field wins Big 12 Outdoor Championship
And also in sports news, the Texas Tech softball team learned on Sunday it had a spot in the NCAA Division I softball tournament.
- The team will play Louisiana Tech at 3 p.m. Friday in the Baton Rouge Regional.
- The team ended its season with an overall record of 39-14 and a Big 12 record of 8-10.
- Read more here: Texas Tech Softball makes NCAA Tournament
For more news, local and national, stick with KCBD on its free app and website; just look in the News section.
Read more weekend stories here:
- Lubbock woman diagnosed with Cystic Fibrosis wins Emily Mulkey award for her participation in phage study
- Motley County cattle thief convicted for trying to sell $60,000 in stolen cattle
- Remembering Lubbock’s deadly 1970 tornado, 49 years later
- Lubbock Animal Services offering free kitten adoptions May 11-18
- South Plains High School athletes excel at day 2 of UIL State Track & Field Championships