Good morning and thank you for joining us!
This morning on Daybreak Today, a woman was killed after a hit-and-run near 27th Street and Avenue Q Tuesday night.
- Investigators on the scene report they are currently looking for a person in a 1990s model Chevrolet Tahoe or GMC Yukon.
- The suspect is said to have hit both the woman and her dog before leaving the scene. Both were later pronounced dead.
- Read the full story here: Woman killed after Tuesday night hit-and-run
Thirty-two-year-old Byron Jermor Whitfield has been arrested and is accused of robbing two Lubbock cell phone stores Tuesday morning.
- Police reported Whitfield robbed a phone store on 34th Street and about an hour later another store on University Avenue.
- Authorities were later able to find Whitfield’s vehicle – which matched the same description reported after other Lubbock robberies – and took him into custody.
- He has since been charged with two counts of aggravated robbery and one count of possession of marijuana.
- Read the full story here: Man arrested following multiple phone store robberies
Another “weather maker” might be headed our way and could bring severe storms to the South Plains over the weekend.
- Strong storms are expected Friday night into Saturday morning, carrying the potential for severe weather.
- Friday is designated as a First Alert Weather Day with a risk of severe thunderstorms, beginning sometime around the afternoon hours.
- Dry weather will continue until then. Get more weather updates in the Weather section of the KCBD website and app.
A few downtown businesses have been approved grants through a Lubbock non-profit that will help in its curb appeal.
- The Lubbock City Council approved three façade grants through the Lubbock Economic Development Alliance.
- The money from the grants will go towards updating and renovating the exteriors of the businesses.
- KCBD’s Melanie Camacho has the full story here: Lubbock City Council approves grants to help downtown ‘curb appeal’
And don’t forget to enter yourself into the drawing for a FREE Daybreak Today coffee mug. Details can be found here: Daybreak Today Coffee Mug Giveaway
For more news, local and national, stick with KCBD on its free app and website; just look in the News section.
Read more Tuesday stories here:
- Texas Tech partners with Goodwill during campus move out
- Minivan loses control, drives into downtown Plainview store
- Want to go for a hike? Join the mayor on Saturday
- City begins installation of new advanced water and electric smart meters
- J Balvin to make stop in Lubbock during Arcoiris tour
- Public Invited to ribbon-cutting for new walking trail
- Crosbyton ISD releases statement on school bus incident