LUBBOCK, Texas (KCBD) - Lubbock Fire Rescue and Atmos crews have been responding to the scene of a natural gas leak since 11:20 Friday night.
The leak caused five houses to be evacuated and four to lose power. As of Saturday afternoon, Lubbock Fire Rescue has reported only one house still being affected in the 6400 block of 31st, but crews remained on scene.
Milwaukee Avenue from 30th to 34th was shut down temporarily while crews worked to remediate gas build-up in the soil in the area, then power and gas service will be restored.
A release from Lubbock Fire Rescue Saturday morning advised that crews could be in the area for most of the day, but they hope to have all issues resolved by Saturday evening.
Please be careful and watch for LFR personnel in the area, as well as Atmos crews.
Lubbock Fire Rescue reported that the initial call for the leak came from a caller who smelled gas in the area.
They want to remind everyone if you smell gas and suspect a leak in your area, leave to a safe distance immediately and call 911, as well as Atmos Energy’s 24-hour emergency number at 866-322-8667.