Good morning and thank you for joining us!
On Daybreak Today, a Lubbock man is dead after he was hit by an SUV near Quaker Avenue and the Marsha Sharp Freeway on Thursday afternoon.
- Police report 57-year-old Wayne Woodcock was walking on the access road when he was hit by the SUV.
- He was taken to a Lubbock hospital where he later died.
- Read more here: Pedestrian struck by vehicle, killed in 4400 block of MSF
The town of Amherst is mourning the loss of two sister who were killed in a crash on Highway 84 Wednesday night in Hockley County.
- DPS troopers say an SUV going the wrong way hit the car head-on.
- The driver of the car, Wendy Ella Payne and her sister, Aranza, died.
- Another sister suffered serious injuries.
- Read more here: 2 Amherst sisters dead after 3-vehicle crash in Hockley County
A workshop during the Lubbock ISD Board of Trustees meeting Thursday educated members on the minimum requirements the district would have to take if it were to allowed armed teachers in its school.
- The board has two options: allow an armed school marshal on campuses or select specially appointed teachers to carry a firearm on campus.
- Both of those options require special training and lots of preparations before it is allowed.
- The purpose of this workshop was to look into the possibility of arming teachers. Nothing was solidified in this meeting.
- Read more here: LISD weighs options available to arm teachers
Starting today, Texas’s tax free weekend is underway.
- Customers can buy clothes, shoes and school supplies tax free.
- The tax-free holiday continues through midnight on Sunday.
- Read more here: Texas Sales Tax Holiday this weekend Aug. 9-11
Read more stories here:
- Vamos a Pescar scheduled for Saturday
- Lubbock ISD adopts clear bag policy at PlainsCapital Park
- Lubbock ISD considers arming teachers
- ‘Business as usual’ for county regarding new hemp laws
- Lubbock County dismisses thousands of cases in JP 2 backlog, issues notices to recent offenders
- Lubbock dietitian gives these tips to consider before packing your child’s lunch box
- Arrington to host Coffee with the Congressman in Jayton
- Xcel Energy files rate review seeking increase in Texas customer base rate
- Covenant Health announces new hospital in Hobbs
Don’t forget to enter yourself into the drawing for a FREE Daybreak Today coffee mug. Details can be found here: Daybreak Today Coffee Mug Giveaway
For more news, local and national, stick with KCBD on its free app and website; just look in the News section.