Jury pronounces Jeremy Moor guilty of shooting LPD Officer Timothy Varner; sentencing follows Thursday

KCBD Newschannel 11 at 10 Moor trial 8/14/2019

LUBBOCK, Texas (KCBD) - It was an emotional second day in the trial of 38-year-old Jeremy Moor on Wednesday.

Lubbock police officer Timothy Varner gave testimony, describing the encounter with Moor that put him in the hospital with multiple gunshot wounds.

On Tuesday, August 14, witnesses described the events that occurred outside the Salvation Army at 17th Street and Avenue K back in October 2013, where Moor was accused of firing several shots in the direction of Officer Varner, hitting him in the shoulder and the leg.

You can see more details about the witness testimonies in our story here.

For the second day, the State presented exhibits of evidence in the case, including photos of the crime scene and the firearm, a Springfield Armory .40 S&W semi automatic pistol.

Officer Varner’s firearm was also introduced into evidence, noting that the weapon had jammed at the scene.

A forensic specialist who works with Lubbock Police also gave testimony. The defense objected as photos of Officer Varner were presented, and the judge withheld some. The photos showed details of the injuries Officer Varner sustained in the shooting.

Photos showed an entry wound at Officer Varner’s left shoulder. The bullet rested along the right clavicle. Photos showed two more rounds hit the officer in the left hip. Those two rounds went through the officer’s leg and exited. There was an additional wound on the right thigh from a round that exited his left leg and grazed his right thigh.

Pictures of Varner’s weapon were also submitted, showing the empty cartridge lodged in the ejection port. Photos of Varner’s uniform were shown, revealing holes where the bullets entered.

Then the uniform itself was presented, highlighting the presence of bullet holes in the shoulder of the shirt and the pants.

Officer Varner was called to the stand by Lubbock County District Attorney Sunshine Stanek. In full dress uniform complete with medals, Varner described the events of that night.

Varner said he approached the vehicle where Moor and another man were parked, asking them to get out. Varner said he was shot before he could draw his weapon.

He said he felt the first entry wound into his leg like a Charley horse, then the second immediately after. He said he drew his weapon and began approaching Moor, standing a short distance away in a “shooting stance.”

Officer Varner fired his weapon until it no longer fired.

He heard the radio call “shots fired” when he realized the pain he was feeling in his left shoulder. Varner says he radioed, "shots fired, officer shot, I’m shot.”

Varner’s fellow Lubbock Police officers were present for the testimony, alongside his wife and children. Varner’s description of the moment he was shot brought tears to many eyes in the courtroom.

Varner recalled the moments after being shot; stumbling back, running to his left to a small grassy area to lay down. Varner said he was on the ground on his belly, gripping his gun to control it when Lubbock Police Sgt. Chad Wurm ran to his aid.

In his Tuesday testimony, Sgt. Wurm described running toward the sound of shots and the sight of muzzle blasts as he saw Officer Varner stumble. Wurm said he was worried that with the amount of blood lost that Varner was gone. He pulled a pocket knife and cut Varner’s pants away and applied a tourniquet to Varner’s leg while waiting for paramedics.

Stanek asked Varner during his time on the stand: “Whose job was it to take care of those injuries at home?” He broke down as he answered, “My wife."

Varner said he was off work for six months, with lots of physical therapy, and another six months before he could be on patrol again. When asked if he was 100% to this day, he said "My left leg gets tired a lot quicker than my right. My left arm doesn’t move 100%. I’ve got quite a bit of nerve damage on this side. The nerves are extremely sensitive. It’s pretty painful some days.”

After 20 minutes of deliberation, the jury concluded beyond a reasonable doubt that Jeremy Moor was guilty of aggravated assault of a public servant. Sentencing will be decided Thursday at 9 a.m.

Copyright 2019 KCBD. All rights reserved.