ABERNATHY, Texas (KCBD) - The Abernathy and New Deal volunteer fire department put out a fire inside the Tuco Gin, north of Abernathy, on Monday morning.
Abernathy’s Volunteer Fire Department was called out to the fire at 6:30 a.m. on Farm-to-Market Road 54, north of Abernathy. It was reported there was a propane tank close to some processed cotton that caught fire.
When firefighters arrived, fire was shooting upwards from a pop-off relief valve from the propane tank, Kelly Vandygriff, Abernathy’s volunteer fire chief, said. Those on scene had to let the fire burn because there was the threat some of that propane gas causing a fireball.
After the pop-off valve stopped spewing gas, firefighters used water to cool everything down. Firefighters were then able to contain the fire.
No injuries or significant damage was reported from this incident.