BROWNFIELD, Texas (KCBD) - Two men were taken to the hospital after a house exploded in Brownfield just after 11:15 a.m. Thursday.
The house is located near 2nd and Buckley in Brownfield.
The Brownfield Fire Department is investigating the explosion, but they believe there was a propane tank inside the home. The house was destroyed in the explosion.
Officials believe the two men may have been trying to heat the house when the explosion happened. They were taken to a Brownfield hospital and then transferred to a Lubbock hospital due to severe burns.
Brownfield police have identified the victims as Gustavo Perez and Sergio Mendez. Both men were outside of the home when emergency officials arrived.
The hospital provided updated conditions for the two men on Monday. Perez went home Saturday, but Mendes remains in the hospital in satisfactory condition.
Investigators say the two men were not supposed to be there. The house was not being occupied by the owners, just used for storage. All the family’s possessions inside the home have been lost.
The investigation has revealed there was no electricity or gas connected to the home.