Good morning and thank you for joining us!
On Daybreak Today, Lubbock added two new cases of COVID-19 for an overall total of 607 cases since March 17.
- There are 222 active cases in Lubbock County with another 335 recoveries.
- The death toll remains at 50.
- Get a detailed look here: COVID-19: City reports 2 new cases with 7 new recoveries on Wednesday
The National Guard is being deployed to Texas nursing homes to fight against COVID.
- The teams are equipped with advanced personal protective gear, ionized sprayers and vital oxide, a hospital-grade disinfectant.
- Six teams have already been deployed and more will come online in the coming days.
- Read the full order from Gov. Greg Abbott here: Governor Abbott, Texas National Guard Launch Disinfection Mission For Nursing Facilities
The former head of the federal biomedical research agency will testify before Congress today.
- Dr. Richard Bright says he was demoted for rejecting a drug President Donald Trump promoted as a possible therapy for COVID-19.
- Bright says the pandemic will get much worse unless leaders act to prevent a rebound.
- Read more here: Whistleblower: US could face virus rebound ‘darkest winter’
The Labor Department will release its weekly tally of new jobless claims today.
- Analysts predict another 2.5 million people have lost their jobs because of the COVID pandemic.
- That would push the unemployed number to more than 35 million in the last eight weeks.
- Read more here: Layoffs are easing but remain at historic levels as millions likely filed for unemployment last week
For more news, local and national, stick with KCBD on its free app and website; just look in the News section.