LFR issues reminder about safe grilling after backyard fire

LFR issues reminder about safe grilling after backyard fire
Lubbock Fire Rescue issued a reminder about safe grilling after putting out a fire in the backyard of a residence in the 3400 block of 79th Street on Saturday afternoon. (Source: Lubbock Fire Rescue)

LUBBOCK, Texas (KCBD) - Lubbock Fire Rescue issued a reminder about safe grilling after putting out a fire in the backyard of a residence in the 3400 block of 79th Street on Saturday afternoon.

The call came in about 2 p.m. LFR units found the fence of the residence on fire and were able to extinguish it quickly.

The home was not affected but a shed suffered minor damage.

Officials say this fire was caused by someone disposing of hot coals too close to the fence.

“LFR would like to remind citizens to properly dispose of grilling charcoals in a non-combustible container, douse the coals with water until cool, and store the container away from anything that could catch on fire.”

At 2:00pm on 6-26-20, LFR crews responded to a backyard fire of a residence in the 3400 block of 79th St. LFR E14 arrived on scene with other units and entered the alley behind the home to find the fence heavily involved. Firefighters from E14 quickly extinguished the fire. The home home was not affected, but a shed received minor damage. CAUSE OF FIRE: Accidental due to the disposal of hot grilling charcoals too close to the fence. LFR would like to remind citizens to properly dispose of grilling charcoals in a non-combustible container, douse the coals with water until cool, and store the container away from anything that could catch on fire.

Posted by Lubbock Fire Department on Saturday, June 27, 2020

Copyright 2020 KCBD. All rights reserved.