LUBBOCK, Texas (KCBD) - The City is expecting more freezing temperatures from Monday, Oct. 26 until Thursday, Oct 29 with winter precipitation in the forecast.
Now is the time to winterize your home to prevent irrigation and plumbing damage by following the tips below.
Winterizing Outdoor Plumbing & Irrigation
- Manually turn off irrigation systems during freezing events;
- Check aboveground backflow assemblies, insulate, cover with insulation box and check heating element if applicable;
- Disconnect hoses from outdoor faucets;
- Cover outdoor faucets with insulated covers;
- Drain and winterize pools according to your pool maintenance provider or manual;
- Wrap pipes and plumbing under pier and beam homes;
Irrigation when temperatures are below 35 degrees Fahrenheit can be dangerous and lead to unsafe road conditions when irrigation runoff flows into the street and freezes, causing icy roads. Irrigating during freezing events is in violation of City Ordinance, and may lead to fines.
Winterizing Indoor Plumbing
- Use heat tape or pipe wraps to protect vulnerable pipes in attics, garages, crawl spaces, basements or outdoors;
- Seal cracks and holes passing through exterior walls, doors, and around pipes, with insulation material;
- Open cabinets under sinks, point a portable heater into the cabinet to circulate warm air near the sink pipes;
- Trickle faucet water to relieve the pressure build up in freezing pipes;
- If you are leaving town, turn the water off at the meter;
For assistance preparing your home for freezing temperatures email firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you experience a water emergency, have concerns about freezing water meters, or need assistance turning your meter off call 806-775-2588 for assistance.