Lubbock man severely burned after bizarre accident
LUBBOCK, Texas (KCBD) - A Lubbock resident needs your help after a bizarre accident left him with second and third-degree burns on his head and face.
**A warning before reading his story, pictures may be tough or hard for some to view.**
Monday afternoon, I visited the home of Richard and Michelle Brooks. As I walked in with my camera, Richard is bedridden and is sitting in his hospital bed in the living room. His face and head covered with bandages and gauze from his burns. He’s sitting up and talking to me with his wife of 40 years, Michelle, by his side.
The Brooks' family is originally from New York. They say they have been in Lubbock for almost 15 years.
Michelle said Richard was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis in 2000. They were living in New Mexico and driving to Lubbock for Richard’s MS treatments when they decided to stay in the Hub City.
Richard is now bedridden, and on October 27, 2020, a bizarre accident occurred.
When asked, Richard says he doesn’t remember exactly what happened but remembers the “heat.”
Michelle recalls walking out of her bedroom and seeing Richard holding his oxygen line in his hand. It wasn’t until after they put the fire out did they see Richard’s burns.
Richard’s son called 911 and emergency crews took Richard to University Medical Center.
Michelle said they believe that static electricity from Richard’s blankets ignited his oxygen line on his nose, causing second- and third-degree burns on Richard’s head and face.
Richard spent three days in the hospital. He’s now at home. He was talking and joking throughout the interview. Today, (Monday), Richard said he’s having a good day. Michelle said Richard has follow-up appointments with his doctors and possibly, surgery, depending on how he heals.
You can find the Go Fund Me link for Richard here.
Copyright 2020 KCBD. All rights reserved.