Good morning and thank you for joining us!
On Daybreak Today, one person has been hospitalized after being hit by a vehicle.
- This happened around 11 p.m. Sunday on Highway 114 near Smyer.
- The person condition is not known at this time.
- Get updates later today here: Pedestrian hit by vehicle near Smyer
A 48-year-old man is dead after a crash north of Lubbock.
- The Department of Public Safety says Jaime Lopez ran a stop sign and hit another vehicle Saturday night.
- EMS took Lopez to University Medical Center, where he later died. Another passenger was seriously injured.
- Read more here: Driver dies from injuries suffered in Saturday night collision
Lubbock police are also investigating the cause of a deadly crash early Saturday morning near the intersection of University Avenue and the Marsha Sharp Freeway.
- An SUV and a car hit each other in the intersection, killing 19-year-old Jessica Helmers.
- The other driver suffered moderate injuries.
- Read more here: Police release name of woman killed in Saturday morning crash in Central Lubbock
Around 25,000 National Guard troops are now patrolling the U.S. Capitol ahead of Wednesday’s inauguration.
- Authorities in Washington D.C. and all 50 states are on alert of threats of armed protests.
- Get the latest here: FBI vetting Guard troops in DC amid fears of insider attack
Today is Martin Luther King Jr. Day.
- The national civil rights museum will host a virtual celebration.
- There are day of service events taking place across the U.S. and here in Lubbock.
- KCBD NewsChannel 11′s Melanie Camacho takes a look ahead at one event today: Habitat for Humanity needs volunteers to finish 5 homes on Monday
For more news, local and national, stick with KCBD on its free app and website; just look in the News section.