Daybreak Today Friday Morning Brief
Heat advisory in place today, Tech begins fight to College World Series, New Deal wins baseball state title
On Daybreak Today,
The Texas Tech Red Raider baseball team is gearing up to play Stanford today in the Lubbock Super Regional.
- Tech is two games away from heading back to the College World Series in Omaha.
- The first pitch is scheduled for 2 p.m., tickets are sold out.
A heat advisory has been issued by the National Weather Service for today.
- Triple digit heat is expected in the viewing area.
- Get the latest in weather here: kcbd.com/weather/
Lubbock police continue to search for the suspects involved in a deadly shooting Wednesday night.
- A 14-year-old died in a shoot-out after another group of teens tried to steal the narcotics he was selling.
- Anyone with information is urged to call the Lubbock Police Department’s Crime Line at 806-741-1000.
- KCBD NewsChannel 11′s Rachel Reagan has the details: Teen was killed in ‘gun battle’ with rival gang
The New Deal Lions area back home after winning their first AA baseball state championship.
- They beat Garrison on Thursday, 7-2.
- New Deal is the first UIL team in our viewing area to win a state championship since Snyder in 2008.
- Get games highlights here: New Deal Lions roar to the State Baseball Title
Johnson & Johnson vaccine doses have been halted in the United States.
- The Centers for Disease Control says this is because doses around the country are close to expiring.
- The surplus in vaccines is a consequence of a review halt from earlier this year.
- Read that story from The Wall Street Journal: U.S. Suspends J&J Covid-19 Vaccine Shipments as States Face a Surplus of Expiring Doses
President Joe Biden is in the United Kingdom this morning.
- He is preparing for the opening session of the G7 summit later today.
- Leaders of the world’s seven wealthiest democracies are expected to discuss topics ranging from trade, climate change and COVID-19.
- Get the latest here: G-7 nations gather to pledge 1B vaccine doses for world
Read more top headlines here:
- ‘This is a horror story’; Concerns from local farmers over chemical drift prompts $560k lawsuit
- Lubbock women waiting months to see gynecologists
- Rep. Arrington says Port-to-Plains progressing through bipartisan efforts
- Gov. Greg Abbott says Texas will build a border wall, but doesn’t yet give details on cost or location
- Health Department to offer free HIV/STI testing during Pride Parade
- Fear of coronavirus will no longer be acceptable reason for Texans on unemployment to turn down job offers
For more news, local and national, stick with KCBD on its free app and website; just look in the News section.
As always, be sure to join Sharon Maines, Steve Divine and Michael Cantu along with the rest of the Daybreak Today crew for your top headlines. Download the free KCBD NewsChannel 11 app, like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.
Copyright 2021 KCBD. All rights reserved.