Severe Thunderstorm Watch across the South Plains
The National Weather Service has issued a Severe Thunderstorm Watch for Bailey, Briscoe, Castro, Floyd, Hale, Lamb, Parmer, Swisher through 3 a.m.
LUBBOCK, Texas (KCBD) - A new record high for Lubbock with an afternoon high of 108 degrees Friday. That shattered the previous record of 105 degrees that occurred last in 2008.
This weekend, there is some relief in the form of a cold front that is moving through the region overnight.
On the average the weekend temps will be about 10-15 lower than the last few days. However, we will still be in the 90s so here again are some safety tips for the west Texas heat:
- Drink Extra Water
- Wear wide-brimmed hat and loose light colored clothing
- Seek out shade and air conditioning when possible
- CHECK Back Seat of Vehicles for people, pets and electronic equipment
- Check on elderly and those most likely to be affected by the heat.
- Flush Water Hose before spraying water on people and plants.
The weekend will be slightly cooler with highs in the 90s.
There is also a slight chance of some isolated storms Saturday and Sunday evenings and into the early morning hours.
Temps will continue to decrease slightly into early next week.
Copyright 2021 KCBD. All rights reserved.