Daybreak Today Wednesday Morning Brief
Energy conservation still recommended, oil prices reach another high, Biden meets Putin in Geneva
On Daybreak Today,
ERCOT says the state’s power grid remains strong after asking Texans to conserve energy.
- A high number of power plants have gone offline for repairs.
- Now, ERCOT says the power grid is operating as intended and conservation notices are common practice.
- Read more here: ERCOT says grid reliability “remains strong” despite record-breaking demand, forced outages
President Joe Biden will meet Russian President Vladimir Putin today in Geneva, Switzerland.
- The president is expected to confront Putin about Russian cyberattacks and election interference.
- Russia says Putin will focus on arms control, the pandemic and climate change.
- Get the latest here: Face to face: Biden, Putin ready for long-anticipated summit
The price of oil is near $75 per barrel in major indexes.
- U.S. consumption is up but producers are not putting out more oil.
- This means gas prices will stay high or could start getting higher.
- Read more from Reuters: Oil hits new high near $75 on demand rise, falling inventories
The Centers for Disease Control says the Delta COVID-19 variant is concerning.
- The strain, first identified in India, is more contagious and causes more severe disease than others.
- However, the vaccines are effective against that variant.
- Read more here: ‘A summer of freedom’: Vaccine gives new meaning to July 4th
The Senate passed a bill to make Juneteenth a federal holiday.
- June 19 is when slaves in Texas found out they were free, two years after the Emancipation Proclamation.
- The bill is expected to pass the House.
- Read more here: Senate approves bill to make Juneteenth a federal holiday
Read more top headlines here:
- Friends, former members of search party honor Hailey Dunn in light of new arrest
- Timeline: What led up to Hailey Dunn case arrest
- Police Association hears citizen comments on plea for pay raises
- South Plains Food Bank Unveils New Building in Honor of David Weaver
- Woman charged with manslaughter in deadly January crash
- Former LCS President on house arrest after pleading guilty to possession of child pornography
For more news, local and national, stick with KCBD on its free app and website; just look in the News section.
As always, be sure to join Sharon Maines, Steve Divine and Michael Cantu along with the rest of the Daybreak Today crew for your top headlines. Download the free KCBD NewsChannel 11 app, like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.
Copyright 2021 KCBD. All rights reserved.