Daybreak Today Wednesday Morning Brief
1 with life-threatening injuries after crash, city to put street bond on November ballot, special session scheduled for July 8
On Daybreak Today,
One person has life-threatening injuries after a crash before 2 a.m. today.
- Police responded near the intersection of 4th Street and Toledo Avenue.
- The name of the person involved has not been released.
- Updates will be provided here later today: Life-threatening injury reported after 4th Street crash
Lubbock voters will see a $174 million bond proposal on the November ballot.
- The city council says the money will go towards improving major streets and work on the brick streets on Broadway.
- KCBD NewsChannel 11′s Kase Wilbanks has more details here: City of Lubbock prepares for $174.5 million street bond election for November
Gov. Greg Abbott has set a date for a special session of the Texas legislature.
- Lawmakers will return to Austin on July 8.
- There is no word on what will be included but Abbott said he wants to address elections and bail reform.
- Read more from The Texas Tribune: Texas Gov. Greg Abbott sets July 8 date for special legislative session on voting bill, other issues
The For the People Act failed to reach the Senate floor after a Republican filibuster.
- Democrats say the overhaul was needed to protect voting rights.
- Republicans called the bill a power grab.
- Read more here: GOP filibuster halts Democrats’ signature voting bill
President Joe Biden will unveil his plan to fight a surge in violent crimes in America.
- He is expected to announce a partnership between federal and local law enforcement.
- The president will also announce new steps to combat gun violence and gun trafficking.
- Read more here: Biden anti-crime effort takes on law-breaking gun dealers
Read more top headlines here:
- LCHS honors student after procedure forces her to miss graduation
- Recent drownings prompt focus on swim safety for children
- Man accused of stealing more than $250,000 of Christ The King Cathedral funds in digital transfers from Colombia
- Low inventory creates home buying struggles in Lubbock
- United Supermarkets to open new location in Southwest Lubbock June 30
For more news, local and national, stick with KCBD on its free app and website; just look in the News section.
As always, be sure to join Sharon Maines, Steve Divine and Michael Cantu along with the rest of the Daybreak Today crew for your top headlines. Download the free KCBD NewsChannel 11 app, like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.
Copyright 2021 KCBD. All rights reserved.