Daybreak Today Wednesday Morning Brief
Lamesa issues disaster declaration, search continues in condo collapse, heatwave continues in northwest
On Daybreak Today,
Disaster relief may be coming to Lamesa residents soon, after last weekend’s devastating storm.
- A judge has issued a disaster declaration for Lamesa and Dawson County.
- The mayor said last weekend’s storm caused an estimated $10 million in damage.
- Information could be posted online as early as today for disaster relief funding.
- Here is the latest: Disaster declarations issued for Lamesa, Dawson County after weekend storms
A Lubbock man is going to prison after pleading guilty to murder.
- Justin Jackson admitted to killing his girlfriend, Shranda Carson, at the Chaparral Apartments in 2018.
- A judge sentenced him to 30 years in prison.
- Get the details: Lubbock man sentenced to 30 years for deadly 2018 stabbing
A Texas inmate will be executed today for killing his family.
- John Hummel murdered his wife, 5-year-old daughter and father-in-law inside their Kennedale home in 2019.
- He confessed after being arrested in California.
- Read more here: Texas inmate faces execution after killing 3 family members
Crews found another body in the rubble of a collapsed condominium in Surfside, Florida.
- That brings the death toll to 12 people.
- There are still 149 people still unaccounted for since the building collapsed last week.
- Updates can be found here: Condo searchers eye tropical forecast as effort stretches on
A dangerous heat wave continues to bake the northwest.
- The region is experiencing record-setting temperatures above 100-degrees.
- The heat could be a factor in dozens of deaths in Washington state and Oregon, and hundreds of deaths in British Columbia.
- Read more here: Blackouts in US Northwest due to heat wave, deaths reported
For more news, local and national, stick with KCBD on its free app and website; just look in the News section.
As always, be sure to join Sharon Maines, Steve Divine and Michael Cantu along with the rest of the Daybreak Today crew for your top headlines. Download the free KCBD NewsChannel 11 app, like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.
Copyright 2021 KCBD. All rights reserved.