Daybreak Today Wednesday Morning Brief
Lubbock charter changes tabled for now, UT-OU conference moves continue, CDC updates indoor mask recommendation
On Daybreak Today,
The universities of Texas and Oklahoma submitted a formal request to join the Southeastern Conference.
- If approved the schools will leave the Big 12 Conference in 2025.
- SEC presidents and chancellors will meet Thursday to discuss the request.
- Read more here: Big 12′s Texas, Oklahoma make request to join powerhouse SEC
The Lubbock City Council will not put proposed changes to the city charter on the November ballot.
- The council blamed the delay on disagreements about the proposed changes and misunderstandings about the process.
- KCBD’s Kase Wilbanks takes a deeper dive: City council delays election on proposed changes to Lubbock charter
Lubbock County reported 78 new cases of COVID on Tuesday.
- There are now 839 active cases.
- There are 104 COVID patients hospitalized in Lubbock’s 22-county service region.
- Get the details here: COVID-19: Lubbock reports 78 new cases on Tuesday, 48.34% of county population 12+ has vaccine
USA Gymnastics says Simone Biles has withdrawn from Thursday’s all-around competition.
- She is taking a step back to focus on her mental health.
- There is no word on if she will compete in individual events next week.
- Get the latest: Olympic champ Simone Biles withdraws from all-around competition
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention updated its mask guidance.
- The agency now recommends fully vaccinated people wear masks inside areas with high levels of transmission.
- The CDC says new evidence shows vaccinated people may be able to transmit the highly-contagious Delta variant.
- Read more here: CDC changes course on indoor masks in some parts of the US
For more news, local and national, stick with KCBD on its free app and website; just look in the News section.
As always, be sure to join Sharon Maines, Steve Divine and Michael Cantu along with the rest of the Daybreak Today crew for your top headlines. Download the free KCBD NewsChannel 11 app, like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.
Copyright 2021 KCBD. All rights reserved.