Daybreak Today Friday Morning Brief
UT-OU invited to join SEC, Levelland sergeant out of hospital, COVID cases still rising in Lubbock County
On Daybreak Today,
The Southeastern Conference voted unanimously to invite Texas and Oklahoma to join the conference.
- The move would take place in July of 2025.
- Big 12 Commissioner Bob Bowlsby says this show the plans have been in the works for some time.
- Read the latest here: ESPN denies accusations of trying to break up the Big 12
COVID-19 continue to rise in Lubbock County.
- The health department reported 97 new cases but no new deaths.
- There are now 1,051 active cases.
- The COVID hospitalization rate rose to 8.5%.
Levelland police sergeant Shawn Wilson is now out of the hospital.
- He went home on Thursday, two weeks after being shot during a standoff in Levelland.
- Wilson will now undergo physical therapy.
- KCBD NewsChannel 11′s Brittany Michaelson was there and has this report: Injured Police Sgt. Shawn Wilson goes home 2 weeks after Levelland SWAT standoff
New preliminary information from the Centers for Disease Control shows the COVID Delta variant is as easily spreadable as chickenpox.
- The data also shows vaccinated people could also still spread it, though they have more protection.
- With previous strains of the virus, people had lower levels of the virus when vaccinated.
- Read more here: The CDC Says The Delta Variant Has Changed The War Against COVID-19
President Joe Biden announced all federal employees must get a COVID vaccine or undergo weekly testing and other restrictions.
- The president also urged states to make similar requirements and offer incentives for people to get vaccinated.
- Get the latest here: Biden push to vaccinate feds forces uncomfortable questions
For more news, local and national, stick with KCBD on its free app and website; just look in the News section.
As always, be sure to join Sharon Maines, Steve Divine and Michael Cantu along with the rest of the Daybreak Today crew for your top headlines. Download the free KCBD NewsChannel 11 app, like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.
Copyright 2021 KCBD. All rights reserved.