City to settle lawsuit after elderly man shot
LUBBOCK, TX (KCBD) - If all goes to plan on Thursday, the City of Lubbock will settle a lawsuit out-of-court with an elderly man who was shot by Lubbock Police. In September 2011, Lubbock police were investigating the report of a burglary next door to the apartment of Willie Williams, who was 90 years old at the time. Police said Williams shot at police first, and Officer Curtis Mitchell Fish returned fire. Williams claims it was the other way around.
Williams recovered from a gunshot wound and charges against him were dropped after the case went to a grand jury. Fish was also cleared of wrongdoing by a grand jury.
Williams sued Fish both as a police officer and as an individual. Part of the lawsuit was dismissed this year and part of it has remained on the books.
The Council on Thursday will authorize the Mayor to sign an agreement with Williams. Terms of the deal are not yet listed in public records, and Mayor Glen Robertson say he does not yet know the terms.
Calls to Williams' attorney, Charlie Dunn, and City Attorney Sam Medina have not yet been returned.
More recently, Officer Fish was involved in another shooting. Police say Julian Marcus Begay, 27, pulled a gun on Fish last month. A spokesman for LPD said, "Officer Fish believed his life was in immediate danger, and he fired his duty weapon." Begay died at UMC a few hours after the shooting.
Copyright 2012 KCBD. All rights reserved.