UMC offers advanced treatment for carbon monoxide poisoning
LUBBOCK, TX (KCBD) - Carbon monoxide poisoning can happen in just a few short hours, with the victim never even knowing.
That was the case for a couple staying at a central Lubbock motel this week.
One woman is still recovering at a Lubbock hospital Friday after she was found unconscious in a room with a heater leaking carbon monoxide.
UMC offers state of the art facilities for these types of patients, including a Hyperbaric Oxygen Treatment Center with five chambers.
These chambers cost nearly $500,000 and the treatment they offer can be used in a wide variety of cases.
They are multi-faceted and multi-purpose machines that speed up the healing process and help lower carbon monoxide levels in the blood.
Dr. Randall Wilcott works at the Hyperbaric Oxygen Treatment Center. He said that Lubbock is fortunate to have such a high quality treatment center for a city of it's size.
"We are very lucky that UMC has this center," Wolcott said, "because of the different varieties of diseases we can treat here."
Patients lay on a narrow bed and are wheeled into a tube with an airtight seal.
Doctors say the patient will feel mild pressure, described as similar to an airplane cabin during takeoff.
But more than just treating carbon monoxide poisoning, Dr. Wolcott said the machines can provide valuable treatment for diabetic patients.
Copyright 2014 KCBD. All rights reserved.