2 lawsuits filed after carbon monoxide poisoning at Lubbock motel

Published: Jan. 24, 2014 at 5:05 PM CST|Updated: Jan. 25, 2014 at 4:27 AM CST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

Two lawsuits have now been filed in connection with a deadly carbon monoxide leak at a Lubbock motel.

One is for $10 million dollars against the owners of the Budget Motel on East 34th street.

A family member of Harold Rutherford says the hotel was negligent and he is seeking damages.

Rutherford was found dead in one of the motel's rooms last week.

Investigators say carbon monoxide leaked into the room from a faulty heating unit.

Latiesha Ruth was found in the same room.

First responders rushed her to UMC, where she spent eight days recovering.

She has also filed suit against the motel owners.

Her attorney tells us they need some questions answered.

Attorney Chad Inderman said, "The goal with a case like this is to figure out why it happened and keep it from every happening again - and then to hold the responsible party accountable."

Inderman says Ruth is still suffering from breathing problems.

He did not release a specific amount that they're seeking.

RELATED STORY: 1 dead after carbon monoxide poisoning at Budget Motel

Copyright 2014 KCBD. All rights reserved.