LUBBOCK, TX (KCBD) - Racquel Davis says two of her horses have died and a third got very sick because of tainted hay she bought from Lubbock City Farms.
She is suing the city for $100,000.
Davis claims the hay was tainted and her attorney, Travis Ware, says it cost her an award-winning horse.
Ware filed the lawsuit on Dec. 10.
The lawsuit states that the horses died just one day after eating the hay, claiming that it was contaminated with mold, which can be fatal if ingested by horses.
The lawsuit says Davis purchased ten bales of hay from the city farms on May 6.
The suit says the third horse is "unable to perform due to effects of illness caused by hay."
"Mold like that could get so hot that it could actually combust. It could catch on fire." Ware says. "The hay was actually hot to the touch."
Ware says after the animals died, Davis took appropriate action and had the animals looked at.
"The vet came out and checked on them and performed an autopsy. There was nothing else fed to them."
The lawsuit claims that the "city of Lubbock was negligent in growing, harvesting, bailing and retailing the bales of hay in question."
It says the city failed to monitor the hay properly and warn the buyer the hay could be toxic and fatal when ingested by horses.
"Somebody should be responsible for the hay that was sold as being horse quality when in fact it wasn't," Ware said.