LPD: Lubbock man admits to killing of 4-year-old daughter

Published: Feb. 2, 2015 at 2:54 AM CST|Updated: Aug. 3, 2015 at 1:40 PM CDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

LUBBOCK, TX (KCBD) - A Lubbock father is behind bars, charged in a "horrifically violent" attack that killed his 4-year-old daughter.

29-year-old Justin Chisum is being held at the Lubbock County Detention Center, charged with murder in the death of 4-year-old Kylee Forrest.

Authorities discovered her body at The Landing Apartments near 4th and Slide Sunday night.

Police say Chisum admitted to killing Kylee, and that the cause of her death is blunt force trauma.

According to his arrest warrant, Chisum picked up Kylee on Saturday afternoon to take her to church.

Around 7:30 p.m. Sunday, police responded to a call from one of Chisum's neighbors.

After spotting what appeared to be blood on Chisum's window, officers forced their way inside and found Kylee's body.

They say, due to the way the apartment looked, it appeared to be a very violent incident.

Authorities tell us that this case could be upgraded to capital murder.

Roy Bassett with the Lubbock Police Department said, "That's a determination that would be made by the district attorney's office. It is my understanding that that's a process and there are several things that they need to make sure that they've got all their ducks in a row before they go with the charge of capital murder, but I would certainly think that at some point, this could become capital murder."

While authorities were at the apartment complex, police responded to a separate call about a man running around naked at 8th and Bangor.

That man turned out to be Chisum, and police took him into custody.

He is being held on a $1 million bond.

Detectives are still looking into the child's custody situation, and they've not yet released a possible motive behind the killing.

Child Protective Services said they have had previous contact with the family of Kylee Forrest but they are unable to comment further.

If you'd like to help with Kylee's funeral expenses, you can make a donation at any Lubbock branch of People's Bank or go to

Kylee's grandfather, Orlando Romo, posted this statement on Facebook:

She was my granddaughter 4 years old with cerebral palsy, she was like a baby... innocent. He picked her up and said he was taking her to church. The Devil comes to steal, kill, and destroy, and this was clearly the work of the devil... I can't imagine how afraid she must have been. How disgusting, and brutal, her last moments were. How evil he must have looked in her young mind. My son Ryan who never got to meet her was devastated, punching holes in the wall, crying, saying that's why I want to be a Seal so I can kill evil! What happened was pure evil and I can feel it all around me. There is a dark presence it's undeniable. (Lists names of commenters.) I'm asking that you lift them up and please don't just say prayers your way. Truly stop what your doing and bow your heads. Ask God to shine his light brighter than ever. Her name was Kylee Forrest.

Lubbock police released this statement on Monday morning:

On February 1, 2015 at approximately 7:39 p.m., the Lubbock Police Department received a 911 call reporting the possible death of a child. A resident at The Landing at Pinewood Park, 502 Slide Rd., reported she believed a man had killed a child in apartment #1801.

Officers responded to the scene and observed what they believed to be blood on the window of that apartment. Officers forced entry into the apartment on the belief that someone in the apartment was in immediate danger. Officers found the body of four year old Kylee Forrest. Forrest appeared to have been the victim of a violent attack and was deceased at the scene. The appearance of the apartment suggested a very violent incident.

At approximately the same time that this call was going out, residents in the area of 8th and Bangor reported a nude man walking in the neighborhood. Officers responding to that scene discovered Justin Michael Chisum, W/M, 06/12/1985, nude in a public place. Officers took Chisum into custody and began trying to determine the circumstances for him being in that area in that condition.

At that time, Chisum made a statement that lead officers to believe he was involved in the murder of Kylee.

Investigators and Crime Scene officers worked well into the night processing the crime scene and questioning Chisum. With the assistance of the Lubbock District Attorney's office, an arrest warrant was obtained. Chisum was arrested for murder and is being held at the Lubbock Detention Center on a $1,000,000 bond.

The investigation is ongoing. The Lubbock Police Department extends its sympathy to the family of Kylee Forrest.

Copyright 2015 KCBD. All rights reserved.