Recent Texas Tech graduate found dead in the Bahamas

Published: Aug. 4, 2015 at 2:16 AM CDT|Updated: Feb. 2, 2016 at 3:27 AM CST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

LUBBOCK, TX (KCBD) - A grand adventure to the Bahamas turned deadly for a recent Texas Tech graduate.

Mason Hart, 23, went missing on Tuesday.

His body was discovered floating in ankle deep water about 24 hours later, but his boat is nowhere to be found.

Now, his family is trying to piece together the details surrounding his death.

Hart's cousin, Lora Forbush, said according to credit card receipts and marina staff, Hart had taken a dingy to a restaurant on Guana Cay where his final transaction was made around 7:30 p.m. on Tuesday. Then, about 24 hours alter, his body was found near the shore of Scotland Cay.

"He was born and raised in Houston. He went to Texas Tech; he was a part of the ATO fraternity. Everybody loved him, everybody who knew him just thought he was the life of the party," Forbush said.

Forbush said it came as no surprise to her when she heard Hart was going on an exploration as soon as he graduated from Tech.

She said one of their family friends presented Hart with the opportunity of a lifetime, to work on a yacht while exploring the Bahamas.

"They left for Florida and they were just going around to see the different islands and they had planned to be there for about six months, but it was stopped short," Forbush said.

Forbush said family and friends last spoke to Hart on Tuesday, but grew nervous when 24 hours later, no one had seen or spoken to him.

Forbush said that feeling only intensified when they stumbled upon an article from the Bahamas Weekly.

"It was about a Caucasian man who was found floating with no clothes on, but no one could identify him. Within about 24 hours, the marina master where our family friend's yacht had been parked that Mason was working on, the marina master had identified him positively and that's when it started to sink in that this is our Mason," Forbush said.

Without passports or visas, Hart's family is doing everything they can from here in the states to figure out what led to Hart's death, which includes tracking credit card receipts, and working with the U.S. Embassy and detectives.

"We haven't found anything as far as Mason's belongings, as far as his boat, so it's just a lot of unanswered questions," Forbush said.

An autopsy is scheduled for Tuesday, but the family is working to bring Hart's body back here to the states for more testing.

A GoFundMe account is set up to help with these expenses.

Click here to donate.

Copyright 2015 KCBD. All rights reserved.