Mother, toddler critically injured in home explosion
GAINES COUNTY, TX (KCBD) - A mother and son are fighting for their lives after their house exploded just before 5 p.m. Tuesday evening.
Both victims are in critical condition at University Medical Center in Lubbock, following the blast that happened just south of Seminole.
A burned-out shell on County Road 318-M is all that's left of Jessica Dilgadillo's home.
The Gaines County Sheriff's Office responded to the call referencing a structure fire with injuries, along with the Seminole Fire Department and Seminole EMS.
Investigators are still working to figure out what sparked the gas explosion that injured Jessica and her 18-month-old son, Lucky Franco.
"I said, what are you doing, Jessica? I'm cooking grandma, I cook," Maria Gomez, Dilgadillo's grandmother says. "But, that thing exploded on me."
Gomez lives just two houses over. She tells us she heard the explosion, and when she ran outside, she found Dilgadillo still on fire carrying her baby.
"Grandma, my baby is burning, my baby is burning," she says. "I told her, no mama, you got him. You got it, I got it? Yes, I got it, you got it mama. He's okay, the baby is okay."
While losing consciousness, Gomez says her granddaughter was still shouting for help.
"Grandma help me, take me," she says. "Momma, I can't, I can't drive you like that."
Still in shock, Gomez tells us both Dilgadillo and her son were transported to UMC by Aerocare on Tuesday.
She tells us they remain there Wednesday night, still in critical condition.
Dilgadillo has two other children, ages six and seven who Gomez says are too young to understand the severity of what happened.
Investigators don't suspect any foul play at this time.
The explosion remains under investigation by the State Fire Marshall's Office and the Gaines County Sheriff's Office.
The family has set up a GoFundMe account here: www.gofundme.com/3h4arv7w
Copyright 2015 KCBD. All rights reserved.