Suspect dies at UMC after being released from LPD custody

Published: Sep. 23, 2015 at 4:06 PM CDT|Updated: Dec. 22, 2015 at 5:12 PM CST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

LUBBOCK, TX (KCBD) - Lubbock Police Department detectives have now launched an investigation into the death of a man after he was released from custody on Monday.

The man, 24-year-old Adrian Campbell, died at University Medical Center on Tuesday.

Police Chief Greg Stevens tell us that officers released Campbell pending the filing of charges on Monday, so the question is whether this case should be considered an "in custody" death.

Stevens says Campbell may have swallowed a drug, but that still has to be determined by an autopsy.

Officers took Campbell into custody after one says he saw Campbell assault a woman.

Campbell ran from the officer, according to police.

"His initial reaction to police intervention was to run away and then to hide. The K9 officer gave several warnings that we were using a police K9, requested that the suspect give up, to show himself, " said Stevens. "He did not. He continued to hide up until the K9 bit him, and then he struggled and fought with the K9, and even after the bite was released, he continued to struggle as he was handcuffed, and so he did not voluntarily comply with any of the officers' actions, even when EMS was attempting to treat him."

Several officers and a K-9 were called in to help find Campbell.

Stevens says that when they found Campbell, the K-9 bit him on his arm.

Stevens says that Campbell then told police he was having trouble breathing, so officers called EMS.

While waiting, police say Campbell began struggling and hit his head.

Once at the hospital, police released Campbell pending the filing of charges.

"At the time of his death he was not in custody," Police Chief Stevens says. "However, there is the possibility that what caused his death occurred either while he was in custody, or more specifically, while we were attempting to taking him into custody."

The officers involved in the chase and apprehension remain on duty. "From what we can see right now, the officers did a great job.  They did what is expected of them," Stevens said. "They realized they needed EMS, called EMS immediately.  They transported the suspect to the hospital, EMS did.  And, then they made, what I think is a wise decision, to release him pending the filing of charges."

"Some things are very clearly in custody deaths, and some things are very clearly not. On this, it's really raised a couple of eyebrows.  If he died from a preexisting medical condition, you don't want that statistic on a report that you later generate, but if he died because of something that occurred while we were attempting to take him into custody then it is an in custody death. Then, that statistic should count," said Stevens.

We did reach out to UMC, but they did not have any comments at this time.

We'll keep you updated as we learn more.

Copyright 2015 KCBD. All rights reserved.