LFR: Lightning strike causes fire at Ventura Place assisted living center

LFR: Lightning strike causes fire at Ventura Place assisted living center

LUBBOCK, TX (KCBD) - Fire officials say a lightning strike caused a fire at the Ventura Place assisted living center on Wednesday evening.

Firefighters were called out to the 3000 block of 54th just after 5:35 p.m. When they arrived, firefighters found the three-story building had no visible flames.

Ventura Place employees had used a fire extinguisher to put out the fire before firefighters arrived.

Firefighters checked the building to make sure the fire was out. No injuries were reported and no one was displaced.

Damage to the building was minimal and mostly electrical.

The Fire Marshal's Office says lightning stuck the dryer duct that terminates on the roof which lead to a minor amount of cellulose insulation catching fire in the attic.

RELATED STORY:

Copyright 2016 KCBD. All rights reserved.