Man indicted after woman was stripped, bound, kidnapped in Lubbock home

Published: Sep. 28, 2016 at 3:06 PM CDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

LUBBOCK, TX (KCBD) - A Lubbock man has been officially charged by the grand jury with aggravated kidnapping after a woman escaped, nearly naked, from her accused kidnapper on Sunday, Sept. 18. He was indicted on Wednesday.

Accused kidnapper Juan Salas is still in the Lubbock County Detention Center on a $250,000 bond. He was arrested after police served a search warrant and found several items of physical evidence confirming the victim's description of events.

A 48-year-old woman said she escaped, nearly naked, from her accused kidnapper on Sunday after she was taken against her will on Friday, Sept. 16 from El Rodeo on 48th and Ave. Q, according to the search warrant from the Lubbock County Courthouse.

According to court documents, the woman arrived at El Rodeo around 10 p.m. on Friday. As she was getting out of her vehicle, her ex-boyfriend approached her in an aggressive manner. The report states she pushed him away but then lost consciousness.

She told police she woke up the next day, on Saturday, and found she was inside of her ex's home in the 500 block of 54th Street. The woman said she was naked and left on a bed. Her hands were bound behind her back and her ankles were bound together. She told police that both her hands and ankles were tied together with yellow caution tape, and her ankles were also bound with wire.

The woman told police that her mouth was covered with a red shirt and tied with the yellow caution tape.

The next day, on Sunday, as her accused kidnapper was taking a shower, she said she was able to free her wrists and pick up a pair of needle nose pliers that were left near her to remove the wire from around her ankles.

She was able to find her pants, but was not able to find her shirt so she grabbed a pink curtain to cover her chest before she ran out of the door into an alley.

The court document says as she ran, she removed the red shirt from her mouth, ran to a nearby home and called police.

Police observed "ligature marks" on her wrists and ankles consistent with being bound by wire. The woman was taken to the hospital for treatment.

Documents also say a child was inside the house where the woman was being held. When police went to check the home for the child, they found the caution tape, the wire and the needle nose pliers. The child was removed and placed with the mother.

They also found the red shirt the woman discarded as she ran.

Copyright 2016 KCBD. All rights reserved.