Lubbock woman, Debra Denise Mackey, still missing after 35 years

Published: Oct. 19, 2016 at 11:26 PM CDT|Updated: Oct. 19, 2016 at 11:36 PM CDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn
Mary McDade, Mackey's cousin (Source: KCBD Video)
Mary McDade, Mackey's cousin (Source: KCBD Video)

LUBBOCK, TX (KCBD) - A Lubbock family is begging for public help to try and find a woman who has been missing for nearly 35 years.

Debra Denise Mackey was last seen January 1, 1982, and her family continues their search for her.

"That's a part of my life that will never go away, until we find out whatever, ever happened to her," says Mary McDade, Mackey's cousin.

Debra Denise Mackey was just 20 years old when she vanished.

"Never saw her again, never knew what happened to her," McDade says.

A family's New Year celebrations quickly turned into their worst nightmare.

"We remember, she came and she had on a brown coat," McDade recalls. "She came in and something crazy happened. She left and we never saw her again. It's killing us, each and every day a little bit by little bit, it's taking some parts of us."

Last seen in the 1700 block of Avenue E, the Lubbock Police Department says Debra was wearing green pants, a plaid shirt, a coat, brown shoes, and a red and white bandana on her head.

"Still hold onto that same little memory," McDade says.

Unsure of where Mackey went or who she may have seen, the mystery of her disappearance remains.

"There's no way in the world that she would've left and never came back," McDade says.

McDade says even three decades later, she can remember the fun-loving woman she was so close with.

"Everybody loved her, she kept a little smile on her face and she was a happy go lucky person," she says.

But, as the happy memories come to mind, Mary is still struggling with questions about what happened to her cousin.

"Somebody knows something to help us out and that's all we want, is some closure," McDade says. "That's a part of a book, in our life, we would just like to close. We can't close it, because we don't know what happened to her."

Still missing, nearly 35 years later and no closer to the truth, McDade pleads for the public's help.

"Anybody, please help us," she says through tears. "Let us know if y'all know anything about her. Please let us know."

Copyright 2016 KCBD. All rights reserved.