Angel Hernandez indicted, charged with agg. assault after struggle with LPD officers

Angel Hernandez, 35 (Source: Lubbock County Detention Center)
Angel Hernandez, 35 (Source: Lubbock County Detention Center)
Updated: Apr. 24, 2018 at 4:13 PM CDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

LUBBOCK, TX (KCBD) - 35-year-old Angel Hernandez was indicted by a Lubbock Grand Jury on Tuesday, charged with aggravated assault against a public servant after an extended struggle with officers back on March 21.

Here's a breakdown of events leading to the arrest, all from the LPD police report:

The police report says the officer was patrolling the 6400 block of 89th Street around 10:43 p.m. when he saw a person on a bicycle without a light. The officer pulled Hernandez over and identified himself.

Hernandez said the light on his bicycle was not working and verbally identified himself to the officer.

The officer noticed that Hernandez had active warrants out for his arrest and tried to take him into custody.

Hernandez took off running before the officer could get handcuffs on him, leading the officer on a chase down the 8900 block of Milwaukee Avenue, finally ending in a yard in the 6500 block of 90th Street.

The officer saw Hernandez climbing a fence trying to jump on the roof of a house.

The officer deployed his taser and struck Hernandez with both probes, causing him to fall to the ground, but Hernandez still refused to obey officer commands. The report says he was able to take one probe off and was trying to stand up.

The officer got closer and tased him again in the right shoulder, but it seemed to be ineffective. Hernandez struggled with the officer and tried to take the taser from him, activating it and stunning them both in the process.

The officer held on to his taser but Hernandez continued to struggle and try to take it from him, biting the officer on the right arm multiple times.

The police report states, "I pulled out my LPD issued Glock 22 firearm. I pointed the firearm directly at and slightly touching A1's head so he knew it was there."

Hernandez seemed to comply with commands at this point so the officer put his firearm back in its holster and grabbed his handcuffs.

When Hernandez continued to resist, the officer says he struck him with his baton multiple times in the back of the head.

The report states that the officer was fatigued from the chase and the struggle and was worried about being overpowered by the suspect, who may have been able tase him, overpower him and "disable me to get my gun."

At this point the homeowner came out to help and Hernandez tried to grab the officer's baton.

The officer asked the homeowner to kick the suspect to try and get him off. The homeowner kicked him several times and the officer was able to keep Hernandez pinned on the ground until backup arrived. Officers were then able to take him into custody.

Hernandez is charged with aggravated assault against a public servant, attempting to take a weapon from an officer and evading arrest, along with a previous charge for forgery filed back on March 8.

The officer was treated for a bite wound to his right arm.

Hernandez is currently in the Lubbock County Detention Center, held on $10,000 bond.

Copyright 2018 KCBD. All rights reserved.