LUBBOCK, TX (KCBD) - Accident Investigators with the Lubbock Police Department will temporarily shut down the following streets from 9 a.m. to approximately 11 a.m. to continue their investigation into the April 26th crash.
- Northbound MLK Jr. Blvd from E. 25th Street to Canyon Lake Drive will be shut down.
- Southbound MLK Jr. Blvd from Canyon Lake Drive to E. 24th Street will be shut down.
- All lanes of E. 24th Street from Redbud Avenue to just west of the MLK intersection will be shut down.
- Eastbound traffic on E. 24th Street will be forced to turn southbound onto MLK.
- The Canyon Lake Drive intersection will remain open
Lubbock Police Officers were called to the 1700 block of east 24th street, just before 7:30 p.m. on Thursday, April 26th, following reports of a hit and run.
Upon arrival, officers located the victim, who was transported to Covenant Medical Center with possible life-threatening injuries.
Officers were able to determine through the initial investigation that the victim was driving a passenger vehicle on east 24th street, while 33-year-old Juan Tanguma was driving a pickup north on Martin Luther King Boulevard, at which point the two vehicles collided in the intersection.
According to witnesses at the scene, the driver of the pickup, Juan Tanguma, attempted to flee the scene after the collision but was caught by a witness who brought him back to the scene.
A DWI investigation was conducted, resulting in the arrest of Tanguma.
The crash remains under investigation at this time.