Food for Thought: 6/21/18

Food for Thought: 6/21

(KCBD) - A Lubbock fried chicken restaurant is now reopened after it was forced to shut down because of a cockroach infestation.

That's just one of the low performers in this week's Food for Thought. KCBD NewsChannel 11's Christy Hartin has this week's report.

The Popeye's at 5102 Slide Rd. is back open, but according to their latest health report restaurant management had a lot of cleaning up to do after inspectors found the restaurant infested with roaches.

The restaurant was forced to temporarily close while they cleaned up after health inspectors discovered the roach infestation.
To reopen they had to:

  • Remove all food debris from the facility
  • Clean all floors and walls
  • Remove all standing water
  • Obtain licensed pest control

They did all that and were allowed to reopen within 24 hours.

They were also cited for 11 violations.

  • Raw chicken was above the safe cold temperature of 41 degrees.
  • Dirty food containers were stored with clean ones.
  • Food particles and a water pitcher were in a hand sink.
  • An unapproved pipe was used at a hand sink.
  • A chemical spray bottle was not labelled.
  • Tape was on the inside of the ice machine.
  • There were multiple holes in the ceiling and missing ceiling tiles in the kitchen.
  • Fans and storage racks in the walk-in cooler were dirty.
  • Wet food trays were stacked on top of each other.
  • Multiple areas of the kitchen were heavily soiled including behind the fryers and ice machine.
  • The inspector notes, due to the number and the nature of the violations management did not show proper food safety knowledge.

Again, everything was corrected and the facility was given the go-ahead to reopen.

Cattle Baron Restaurant at 8201 Quaker had 13 violations.

  • Baked potatoes did not cool properly and were thrown out.
  • Raw meat was stored above ready-to-eat foods.
  • The can opener was heavily soiled.
  • Toxic chemicals were stored above food items.
  • Pasta did not have the correct date mark.
  • There were no towels at a hand sink.
  • Utensils were damaged.
  • Personal items were not properly stored.
  • A bucket was on the floor.
  • There was ice buildup in the walk-in freezer.
  • Containers were still wet when stacked.
  • Fans in the walk-in cooler and ceiling vents were dirty.
  • A mop was not hung up to dry. Multiple cooler and freezer gaskets were damaged.

According to the report, most of the violations were corrected at the time of the inspection.

Bierhaus at 2009 Broadway had 15 violations.

  • Open packages of ready-to-eat-foods did not have date marks.
  • Food items were stored on the floor of the kitchen and service area.
  • Service items were stored on the floor.
  • Boiled eggs were held in their original egg crates.
  • The ice machine was dirty.
  • Toxic chemicals were stored where they could be sprayed on service items.
  • A fork was in the hand sink. Hand sinks are for hand washing only to prevent cross contamination.
  • Employees' drinks were throughout the kitchen.
  • There were no chemical test strips available.
  • Tape was on the handle of a blender.
  • Sticker residue was left on storage containers.
  • The back door was open and needs to be sealed.
  • Sinks were not sealed to the wall.
  • There were no food handlers available.
  • There was no certified food manager certificate displayed.

The report shows the violations were corrected during the inspection.

Now to the good news.

We have one stop at the top.
Our only top performer this week is: Chipotle Mexican Grill at 8201 Quaker

Copyright 2018 KCBD. All rights reserved.