BODY CAM PHOTO: New image released from LPD officer-involved shooting

Published: Aug. 13, 2018 at 10:09 AM CDT|Updated: Aug. 13, 2018 at 9:41 PM CDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn
Coyote Moon game room investigation (Source: Caleb Holder, KCBD)
Coyote Moon game room investigation (Source: Caleb Holder, KCBD)

LUBBOCK, TX (KCBD) - Lubbock police received a call about a robbery at the Coyote Moon Game Room on Monday, and walked in to a robbery still in progress.

Police say they got the call around 1:40 a.m. and responded in about 30 seconds.

Assistant Police Chief Jon Caspell said, "One of the officers, as he was approaching the business to investigate this, opened the door and apparently was immediately confronted in that doorway by a male that was armed with a handgun standing there looking at him. That is an obvious threat to him and a very dangerous situation. That officer immediately recognized what this was, backed out, and as he got out of that doorway, the door began to close."

LPD says the suspect bolted for another door, knocking a backup officer to the ground and leaving him with minor injuries.

"It was at this point that officers engaged what they perceived to still be an armed subject," Caspell said. "They fired multiple rounds at this person and after multiple fires, the person fell to the ground in that north parking lot area."

Assistant Police Chief Jon Caspell says 20-year-old Isaac Jackson is in critical condition and he may face charges for aggravated assault of a peace officer and aggravated robbery.

Officers believe the second suspect fled the building at that point. He is now on the loose and considered armed and dangerous, but not a threat to the public. LPD says they believe this was a targeted robbery, with police often responding to calls at game rooms.

"It's somewhat of an easier target; fair to say. Some of these game rooms, and I'm not speaking specifically about this game room, just in general what we find is a lot of these game rooms don't really operate the way they're supposed to within the law. Typically will have a lot of loose cash laying around with not a lot of security. It tends to make them a little bit more of an easier target and we think we probably saw that last night," Caspell said.

Police tell us there were about a dozen people in the building at the time of the robbery. The gun recovered on Monday morning was reported stolen in January of 2014.

Police say there are two active investigations happening: a criminal and an administrative investigation. As is standard procedure with officer involved shootings, both officers have been placed on paid administrative leave.

Copyright 2018 KCBD. All rights reserved.